Disaster Averted...don't judge me.

Hello blog. It's been a while.

You know, technology is a wonderful thing. Take the smart phone... it keeps us connected with the outside world. Everyday. All the time. 24-7 you could say.

One of the most helpful features of the smartphone is also one of the simplest... the alarm clock. I prefer a calm alarm, like peaceful birds chirping. On the other hand, after spending a number of years in the Marine Corps, my spouse enjoys a blaring rendition of reveille. It's awful.

I use my alarm throughout the day to keep on track. When it goes off at 8:25, my students pipe up to tell me to take attendance. Later the chirping  alerts us to switch classes, go to specials, etc... Since I rely on these alarms so heavily, I carry the phone with me most of the day.

Well...


About a month or so ago during rotation, I naturally had my phone clutched in my hand along with my class clipboard. Now let me tell you, I have three different sections that I teach each day, and each class has a minimum of two "fit throwers". And I mean tantrums. Well the resident tantrumee (is that a word?) from the incoming class was throwing a wall-eyed fit and refused to get out of his seat and line up. His teacher is a first year teacher, didn't quite know what to do, and was looking to me for help.

I had already dealt with difficult children that morning and was in no mood for nonsense.

I walked to his seat and began to fuss at him. What I really wanted to say to him could have gotten me into big trouble, and I'll be honest with you... I considered what I could get away with. But, cooler heads prevailed...thank the Lord.

He eventually got up, quit crying, and we walked out into the hallway. Right at about that time one of my coworkers (we'll call him Mr. S.) came running down the hall waving his hands at me in the air... He came up to me and whispered in my ear that I was live on Facebook!!!

Somehow I had managed to push all of the right buttons without even knowing it, and Mr. S's phone started transmitting all the wailing coming from my little friend. There was no video because the camera was covered, but still... I quickly closed all my apps, and Mr. S suggested that I put a screen lock on my phone, which I did.

Thank you Mr. S.

I hope you enjoyed my cautionary (and very true) tale. The moral of the story...use your technology for good...and use a screen lock!

Y'all have a great weekend!

10 comments

  1. This is SO something that would happen to me! Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teaching keeps life interesting! Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
  2. What a great read and good advice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly learned from this experience...thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. So glad I don't use my phone very much. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be my luck! Lucky for me (kinda), cell service is the pits in my classroom so getting online or anything web based is out of the question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...that screen lock has certainly made me feel better! Thanks for reading...

      Delete
  6. Wow! Thanks for the heads up about a screen lock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It should have occurred to me in the first place...thanks for reading!

      Delete

Back to Top