Springing into Learning!

Greetings, Greetings, Greetings!! Why am I so happy? Because spring has sprung! I LOVE springtime and just about everything about it (except stormy weather...I live in tornado alley). In my humble opinion, Texas has the most beautiful springtime anywhere!  It's warming up in my neck of the woods, the trees are blossoming, the bullfrogs are croaking, and the first bluebonnets are appearing along the roadsides...makes me downright giddy!


Today I'm teaming up with Kim from Elementary Antics for an fun blog hop: Springing into Learning! I teach second grade science and math, and this time of year we are planting and observing seeds, taking cuttings of house plants to learn about roots, observing the tadpoles in the aquarium, and exploring measurement.

So... I'm sharing a fun measurement freebie:


Before we  start working with this activity set, we spend some time actually measuring common objects around the class like markers, staplers, clipboards, etc... to help build a little schema about measurement and how long certain objects are. This helps them to be able to make reasonable  estimations.


Then, I place these picture cards around the room. The kiddos rotate from picture to picture and estimate the length of each image. Then they measure the images in either inches or centimeters depending on which unit of measurement that you're currently learning about.



This is a simple, but effective way to help children learn about estimating measurement. I like to tell my kids that when we look at something and estimate its length or width we are "eyeballing" it. For some reason that helps them to understand what we are doing. Of course, I teach them the word estimate and the concept of "about", but they seem to like "eyeballing"!

You can get this freebie here!

Have a wonderful weekend!



3 comments

  1. Great freebie! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article and Freebie! If there is anyway to collaborate and join a future blog hop... I'd love to hop aboard :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top