Make Your Masterpiece!!

This is the third challenge in the TpT Sellers Challenge hosted by the ladies at Third in HollywoodSparkling in SecondTeach Create Motivate, and Peppy Zesty Teacherista! Thank goodness we had a week and a half to complete this challenge! I didn't think I was ever going to finish. Anyway, it is done. 

When I started this product, it was intended to be something quite different. This was always going to be a place value product, but with a broader scope. I wonder how many other sellers start with one idea and as they work on it, it just kind of morphs into something else.  Before I got started, I started reading some literature and taking notes. As I did this, I started thinking about my second graders and how that transition from ones to tens and then twenties and so on just messes them up. These poor little people have so much extra pressure on them to perform & score well on tests. In Texas our kiddos start their STAAR testing in third grade, but second grade teachers are feeling the pinch too. I have actually been told that we should be teaching our second graders third grade material. What??? Many of them are still struggling with first grade material (like place value). We can't just skip a whole grade level. But....I am about to get on my soap box so, I will just back down now. 


What I created is a product that focuses on numbers from 10-99. That's all. I created fun centers that require students to think about and practice working with tens and ones.  There are also plenty of practice sheets that work well for small groups, homework, or easy formative assessments. I set up the activities to reflect the ways that I actually teach place value. For example, there are resource posters for the numbers 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90 that show how to connect larger words like "twenty" to "two".  Kids don't necessarily know how to make connections unless we make them aware of that thinking process. Here are two of my reference posters.

 

If you like what you see, be sure to check it out here.
Thanks for reading, and have a great week!

post signature

No comments

Back to Top