The Christmas Questionnaire 2014

Happy Saturday! I'm joining up with Michelle at Fabulous in First for a fun Christmas linky party. Here goes:
1. When do you decorate?
Okay, I have to admit I'm really horrible about decorating. Here's why. Everyone wants me to do the decorating and the un-decorating. One year I left the dang tree up all year, just to call these people's bluff. I lost. Another year, my kids agreed to put the ornaments on the tree if I would set it up and put the lights on. Needless to say, we had a beautifully lit tree that year with no ornaments. Last year I thought I would make it super easy. I went to Wal-Mart and bought an itty-bitty tree and some plastic ornaments. Just a little something to make it festive in the house. Here is what happened: 
This poor little tree is now in my classroom and the jury is still out as to whether or not I'm going to decorate at home.
2. Elf or no Elf?
No Elf. My kids (the ones I birthed) are too old, and would probably kidnap it and send me ransom notes. Or, that sweet kitten in the above picture would eat it.
3. Christmas cookies or no baking for you?
You are probably thinking that I'm a bah-humbug and that I don't do cookies. But...I do! I especially love the old-fashioned kind that you have to make with a cookie press. 
My mom's cookie press is the best. She bought it back in the 60's or 70's and it's still chugging along. I bought myself an inexpensive plastic Wilton one at Wal-Mart a few years back and it cracked before I even finished the first batch. Last summer, I went to visit my mom, walked to one of her kitchen cabinets, removed her cookie press, and said "I want this." Why not, she doesn't use it anymore. Here it is:

4. Favorite Holiday Tradition?
When I was a kid, my favorite tradition was that my parents always let me open one present on Christmas Eve. Now, it would have to be Christmas dinner. I let my kids choose what they want, and that's what we have. One year they wanted bacon cheeseburgers. We made the burgers along with potato salad, baked beans and dessert. Really it's about having a fun time with my husband and kids.
5. Favorite Christmas Movie?
6. Snow or No Snow?
Since I live in Texas, snow is not the norm, which is just fine with me. I grew up in Germany and loved it there, but when it snowed, it stayed on the ground forever. Yuck!
7. Favorite Christmas Song?
Hmmm... Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee 
Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Bruce Springsteen version)
8. Favorite Gifts to Give and Get?
You know, the older I get, the less I want. We tend to focus Christmas on our kids. If we do get anything for ourselves, my husband usually buys for himself, and then I spend the same amount on something I want. Like this:
I do like to make things for people like cookies & jams. My step-dad loves my homemade jalapeno jelly, so I'll be whipping up a batch of that kind of stuff soon. My favorite all-time gift was a few years back when my mom gave me a Kindle Fire. I love that thing!!

Y'all have a great week!


post signature

No comments

Back to Top