Conferences and...crabs?

Thanksgiving is almost here. Can you believe it? I'm really looking forward to five days at home with my family. November has been busy! 
At the end of last month my family and I headed down to Galveston for the TCSS (Texas Council for the Social Studies) conference. This year is the first year in a goodly number of years that I have taught social studies. With the completion of my master's degree my whole philosophy of teaching has changed, and I have had no idea where to start when it came to social studies. I felt like I had science/math brain and that I couldn't think outside that box. The funny thing is that I love social studies. I enjoy teaching math and science, but social studies and history are where my personal interests lay.
So my little trip to Galveston came at just the right time.  The conference was held at the lovely Moody Gardens, and I attended some great workshops...my favorites were offered by the Texas Historical Commission, the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum, and Monticello
Some of my favorite freebies from one of the exhibit hall booths.
It was nice for my family to get away and have fun while I was attending workshops. My favorite part of the trip was the ferry ride from Galveston to Port Bolivar. It was totally free and totally awesome. We drove my little Ford Focus onto the ferry and then got out and watched the dolphins jump out of the water all around. That was quite a treat for landlubbers like us.

One of my goals for this trip was to bring back every one of my students a little seashell. So...we went seashell hunting.
In the little area on the beach pictured above, there were lots of these lightning whelk shells.
So, I also gathered up about twelve of these and stuck them in a baggie to take for my little peeps to look at when I got back to school. When I got them home and removed them from the baggie to clean them, not only did they stink to high heaven, but they had dead crabs in them!!! In a nutshell (or crabshell, ba-da-bing-ba-da-boom), I now have a bunch of stinky shells stuck in an ant pile in my yard. I'm hoping the ants will clean them out. I did take them to school first though, so the kiddos could see the little crab legs sticking out.

Coming Soon... Conferences and...crabs? Part 2

Y'all have a great week,
karen





No comments

Back to Top