"Ride Sally Ride"

During my college and early post-college years, my friends and I loved to go out dancing. One of my personal favorite dance clubs was a place down on lower Greenville in Dallas called The Fast and Cool Club. It's long gone now, and I have no idea what is there now. But, boy did we have fun. I loved the music there. It was a mix of late 80's dance tunes and old Motown. So, have you ever heard a song called Mustang Sally by Wilson Pickett?


Now, fast forward about 20"ish" years. (I'm about to let my defenses down and be really vulnerable..sniff, sniff.) If you read one of my initial posts on this blog, you know I'm not a natural science person.What does this have to do with Wilson Pickett and Mustang Sally? Well the chorus of the song goes like this:

All you wanna do is ride around Sally
Ride Sally ride
All you wanna do is ride around Sally
Ride Sally ride
All you wanna do is ride around Sally
Ride Sally ride huh
All you wanna do is a ride around Sally
Alright ride Sally ride

So when I first heard about Sally Ride I was like "Huh...isn't that a song? You know...ride, sally ride." My shame has been revealed...don't judge me. 
In actuality, Sally Ride was the first woman in space! (I didn't pay attention to this hugely historic fact back in high school). Talk about girl power. Sally Ride Science  is all about encouraging and getting young kids (especially girls and under-represented populations) interested in careers in science. Sally Ride passed away in 2012 from cancer, but what a legacy she has left behind.

The irony in this whole little story is that I was one of  three chosen by my district (don't ask me how, I have no idea) to go to San Diego... to the SALLY RIDE conference (ride, Sally, ride). I'll keep you posted later in the week about how it's going!

I wonder if Sally ever paid a visit to The Fast and Cool Club?

Y'all have a great week,

Karen
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments

Back to Top